#Kashmir2010 – Javed Ahmad Malla

LKH DeskJune, Killings Comments

Javed Ahmad Malla (19) was A 10th Class pass out who was forced to discontinue studies due to extreme poverty. He was working in a bag manufacturing unit in Khonmoh in order to make his both ends meet and to support his parents. Javid was shot dead on June 20 2010, at Waniyar Noorbagh locality, Downtown, Srinagar.

Javed Ahmad, a relative of Rafiq Ahmad Bangroo was killed at when paramilitary forces fired on the funeral procession of 25-year-old Rafiq Ahmad Bangroo, who was beaten to death by the CRPF personnel at Safakadal. Javed Ahmad Malla died on the spot.

According to the eyewitness, Javed was one among the people who were carrying the funeral procession of his cousin Rafiq Ahmad Bangroo towards the martyr’s graveyard for the funeral. During this procession, people raised slogans to which the troopers and the police struck back with gunshots and he was shot with a bullet in the neck. He was taken to SMHS hospital where he died on the same day. According to the eyewitness the security forces / police used violence without any provocation.

Javed Ahmad according to his relatives and friends had a very shy nature and he was a very dutiful and submissive son to his parents. It was for his dutiful nature that he left his studies and started working so that he could support his parents at a very little age.
On 19th June Javed came home after a couple of weeks. Jared’s cousin Fayaz Ahmad Malla said, “ He had planned to visit injured Bangroo at Soura hospital but after the news of the death of his cousin came in, he got restless and left home early in the morning to participate in Bangroo’s Nimaz-e-Jinazah (funeral prayers)”. Javed was killed during the Nimaz-e-jinazah when Indian troops opened fire upon hundreds of angry protestors carrying the body of Rafiq Ahmad Bangroo.

Fayaz Ahmad Malla also said, “Javed would never indulge in stone-pelting or any such activity. He put his academic career at stake for the sake of his parents and started working in a garment factory at Khanmoh along with his two brothers Manzoor Ahmad and Mehraj-ud-din. He used to stay there and would visit his home once a month.”
Adding to this, another cousin Noor Muhammad, the owner of the factory where Javed was into bag-making says that he will forever regret his decision to let Javed go home. He said, “This is what you call fate. Had I known that Javed was going to never return, the case would have been different. He was an intelligent boy who within no time became the in-charge of my firm.

More than 100 persons were injured in police action on the funeral processions of both Rafiq Ahmad and Javed Ahmad Malla.

As per the government and police reports, Javed Ahmad was killed on June 20, last when he was a part of an “unlawful assembly” when he was hit by bullets. The government maintains that the opening of the fire was necessary to prevent the mob from entering the CRPF camp and restoring to arson. FIR No 83 of 2010.

M L Koul Commission that was entrusted with the investigations of 2010 unrest finally submitted it’s report a few months ago. The Commission observes that “if the police was under threat of violence by a public mob, why had not they called the Magistrate who would have been in a position to take decision as to what type of force could be used against the demonstrators.”

It also say’s that the firing was not justified and the mere will and volition as a weapon of controlling the demonstrations.

(Complied By Aamir Wani)

Help us document the 2016 Uprising. Click here to volunteer. 

About the Author
LKH Desk

LKH Desk