My Story : Pushed To The Edge

LKH DeskMy Story Comments

On 31 May 2006, a group of school children from Kupwara were taken on a picnic by the army at Wular Lake. The students were put on board on army boats, but the boats were overloaded – if the boats were meant for 10-12 persons the army put 20-25 students on each boat, due to which one of the boats capsized, and 15 students drowned in and died.

Syed Ali Shah Gilani gave a call for protest over this incident. On 02 June 2006, there were protests by people of Islamabad town. I was a college student then. I was leading the protest procession. When the procession reached Khanabal, twenty four boys were arrested by Police Station Islamabad. Liyaqat was the SHO at the time. While 23 of the arrested boys were released on the same day I was kept in custody for 22 days without any FIR being filed. Finally I was released on 24 June.

In 2006, Yasin Malik started the campaign of Safar-eAzaadi. I was arrested again on the next day of the procession. I was arrested from my house by personnel from Islamabad Police Station and kept in custody for 7- 8 days. After that I was under the constant surveillance of CID and also repeatedly called by police to appear before them in the Police Station. This continued till 2008. Whenever there would be any shut down call or any procession by pro-freedom parties I would be arrested for that day.

On 25 August 2008, there was the call for Lal Chowk, Srinagar Chalo. On that day, at about 02:30 am army and SOG raided my house. Tahir who was then working with Territorial Army was also with them. They knocked the door, and when I came to open the door someone either from the SOG or army grabbed me by my hair and dragged me out. Tahir threatened me saying that he will not let me live this time. My father didn’t allow the army and SOG personnel to take me away. Tahir Fuf then called SHO Bashir saying that my father is not allowing them to arrest me. The SHO himself came to our house, and my father handed me over to his custody.

I was taken to the Territorial Army camp, which is in a Kashmiri Pandit’s house. I was kept there for eight days, and thereafter released. On 30 December 2008, I went to meet my fiancé along with my friend Ubaid. I was picked on the way by the local police. I was taken to central jail Srinagar. I was released after two and a half months. Meanwhile my father approached the police station for getting the report for my release on bail. There Duty Officer Khanday told him “don’t ask for the report otherwise your son will be booked under PSA.” Ultimately, I was released.

I got married on 17 May, 2009, Friday. Then on 21 May, which is also the martyrdom anniversary of Abdul Gani Lone, Mirwaiz Moulvi Farooq and the martyrs of Hawal, I was again arrested by the Sadder Police Station, and detained for eight days. On the same night of my release, Asiya and Nelofar of Shopian were raped and killed, and I was arrested again on the next day.

This time I was kept in custody till 11 June 2009. On 18 June 2009, four youth of Baramulla were killed by SOG and on the next day I was arrested again for about 50 days. I was released on 12 August 2009. On 1 December 2009, I was arrested again and was taken to Central Jail Srinagar. I was questioned about my friend Ubaid who had left Kashmir. I was told by Duty Officer Amit of Janglatmandi police post that if I produce my friend before the police, I would be released.

On 5 January 2010, I was released. After my release I went to Jammu along with my family to escape the harassment & we came back in April. On the same day I received a call from Duty Officer Janglatmandi police post to appear in the police post. I went there with my father. Parvez was the then Duty Officer. He told my father to permanently leave our home. On the same night when I was sleeping he came to the house, and informed me that I have been booked under PSA.

I was booked for protesting the martyrdom of Zahid Farooq. But I was in fact then in Jammu. I was sent to Central Jail on 16 April 2010. After three days, I got bail and was released. On 21 June 2010, there was a shutdown because of the killing of Tufail Matto. On 22 June 2010 there was a strike call by Masarat Alam. I also led a protest, but there was no stone pelting. On the next day I was at my shop when I was arrested by police and sent to JIC Khanabal.

There I was tortured by SOG personnel Ram Lal. I was hung upside down, my private parts and other parts of my body were given electric shocks, and a rod was inserted in my rectum. I was kept naked during the entire torture. I was kept in JIC for four days and then I was sent to Cental Jail Srinagar.

On 7 July, I was booked under PSA for “provoking people” and was sent to Kot Bhalwal Jail, Jammu.

On 5 December 2010 the PSA order was quashed by the Court but I was not released for a while. Meanwhile my wife gave birth to a baby girl. But the child died as my wife was in depression because of my frequent detentions. On 7/8 November 2011, it was Eid-ul-Azha and a protest took place at Janglatmandi, Islamabad. During the protest 36 police personnel got injured.

On the next day police raided my office the next day. I was arrested and I lost my job as well. On 12 February I was released. On 18 February 2013, when Afzal Guru was martyred, I was arrested again by SHO Islamabad Ishfaq Alam.

I am detained every time when ever there are any protests or any killing. Now whenever I receive a call from police, I have to appear before them.

About the Author
LKH Desk

LKH Desk